History + Tours

Charlotte Plains Station was originally a property of approximately 155,920 hectares (385,280 acres) and was established in in the 1860s. By 1914 there were more than 67,000 head of sheep on the property producing nearly 1500 bales of wool. In 1923 the property was purchased by the Nagel family, which 96 years later still own the property to this day, with Robyn Russell the current custodian. The station is now somewhat smaller, covering 29,000 hectares – still half the size of Singapore!

Sheep shearing remains at the heart of Charlotte Plains and we now run both Merino Sheep for wool along with Dohne Rams for meat. Also recently introduced to the station are Aussie White Sheep, which shed their wool and are somewhat hardier in dry conditions. Our wool averages 19-20 micron, and we continue to sheer our sheep in our historic original woolshed.

To provide much needed water for the property, in 1892 a bore was sunk into the Great Artesian Basin at a depth of 561m. Originally providing more than 11 million litres per day when sunk, by the 1970s this had decreased to just shy of 2 million litres per day. The flow has never been turned off. A network of bore drains distribute the water over more than 180km across the property, providing water for sheep and animals.

The water exits the borehead at approximately 42C, which combined with the minerals absorbed by the water in the underground basin make it quite relaxing to soak in. In 2019 we upgraded our baths at the borehead, with a series of porcelin baths and a shower now overlooking the surrounding pools.

Hot Baths

Want to know more? Robyn offers tours of the property, woolshed, bore and their history to guests.

Tours start at $30/personĀ for small private groups. Book by speaking to Robyn when you book by phone or email.